Self-help or improvement is the act of aiding oneself without relying on assistance from others. Self-help needs mental preparation to start, as motivation might not be forthcoming from anybody. Here is the list of how you can optimize self-help books.
- Health: These are self-help information modules that talk about ways to stay healthy.
- Physical: These deal majorly with physical fitness.
- Financial: This category deals with business ideas and other methods of improving one’s income.
- Academic: Everything that has to do with academic improvement comes under this category.
- Life Hacks: This is a general category that deals with practical knowledge of doing tasks in a more comfortable and faster way.
Self-help can be in the form of any information module; it could be audios, videos, or books. I will focus on natural ways to get the most out of self-help books, although some of the steps are applying to other information modules. One or two of these information modules should combine to optimize comprehension and usage.
Steps For Optimizing Self-help Books
- You can’t read every self-help book: The earlier we can understand this, the easier it is to achieve a desirable result. Also, it will make you focus on the very best and practical self-help book you can find.
- Scanning: This is a significant step as it helps you decide which books are worth reading. Scan a book by going over the table of contents and a few pages that grab your attention. While doing this, you have to take into consideration the writing pattern, practicality, and grammar.
- Take notes: Takedown short notes and essential phrases from what you read makes it easy to remember. It also helps you put what you learn into practice. To make your records easy to access, always put them in a searchable format.
- Use knowledge acquired from different books: A single book is never enough. When you read self-help books, combine what you learn from various books, especially where the ideas on the particular self-help niche overlap. It affirms what you know already and inspires the practice of the concept
- Read books that speak to you twice: If you find a book that speaks to you, read it twice to keep the ideas fresh
- Summarize what you are reading: When you are reading a book, summarize it. What are the main points, what part of the book will you like to put into immediate practice? Summarizing a book in your own words is another way to memorize and utilize the ideas you gain from the book
- Share the knowledge: When you share knowledge with others, it boosts your confidence and motivates you to practice what you have read.
So these are the different ways in which certain books can improve the quality of your life. For some, it may sound a bit odd, but reading such books can also change your personality and mindset. You should try it out yourself if you wish to see such results in your life as well because it can be a valuable learning experience.